Thursday, August 27, 2009

My Purpose

Why am I taking the intensive, five credit course known as Intro to Japanese while also having the intense workload of computer science?

The answer is simple; I really like various aspects of Japanese culture. I love watching anime. I've watched so many series throughout the years that I've lost count. Early on in high-school I discovered that anime could be watched over the internet in the original language with subtitles. While watching the subtitles, I could tell that I was missing something. I knew that I was missing out on some meaning that could only be understood through learning Japanese.

I love listening to J-pop and J-rock (even though I don't understand the words). I always thought to myself when listening to the music " If the music effects me strongly now, understanding Japanese would probably take my enjoyment of the music to a whole new level. "

I also really love Japanese role-playing games (JRPGs). I love playing many of the Atlus games like Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne and the Persona franchise. I hate having to wait over six months for the English port of a particular jrpg. I want to be able to just import the game when it comes out in Japan and be able to play it. I also want to play some of the games that will likely never come out in America, like the Super Robot Wars series where they have robots from many super robot anime series like Gundam and Macross. Atlus did bring out a couple of games from the Original Generation series but they have not and probably will not receive the main games that have the robots from many anime but it would be a licensing nightmare. Learning Japanese would allow me to play many games from this popular game series.

Finally, I would like to work in Japan as a game designer and work on creating the type of games that I play currently.

6 comments:

  1. Hey, Antwane. From firsthand experience being around you I know how much you do enjoy the stuff you mentioned. You may like a lot of aspects of the culture that I`m not particularly interested in, but I know the passion is there from the way you speak, write and act. I know you have longed to take Japanese for awhile, and am glad that you finally have the opportunity. This semester will be a challenge, but should be fun as well. Lets go out and do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually playing Persona 3 FES right now :) I'm on my second playthrough of the game, and the same with Persona 4. I LOVE these games. Have you played Persona 1 or 2? I saw 2 at a Gamestop somewhere, but it was $90 so I couldn't get it =/
    And you share my dream goal of working as a game designer in Japan xD Supposedly engineering majors can't study abroad in Japan, but we should definitely try to, if it's possible. That would be amazing. Are you gonna try to minor in Japanese, or just take a few classes in it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you're aspiring to be a game designer, does that mean your major is graphic design or something, then? Because I'm planning on majoring in graphic design, as well. (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy j-pop/j-rock too! Do you know of abingdon boys school?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you are the poster boy for beginner Japanese class. I mean it's all logical as to why you are taking this, your interest in manga, anime, jpop, jrock, video games, and martial arts - taking the language would seem the only sensible next step in that progression. I think you're going to do very well and hey who knows, you might find this language your new passion and switch to it as your major :-p
    Japanese = ADVENTURE :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Persona 4 was so good, I think I might even like it better than Persona 3 :) Definitely both good games, though. I have the walkthrough for P4 if you want to borrow it xD
    I agree with you wholeheartedly that X-2 was terrible, but I actually like VIII a lot (I'm playing through it again now). What didn't you like about it?
    Oh and PS, can I borrow your Persona 2 sometime? :D I promise I'd take good care of it!

    ReplyDelete